Artà, a town near the east coast of the island where the Natural Park of the Peninsula del Llevant stands out.
Update 05/02/20. Artà is a town near the coast located east of Mallorca. It is located 76.2 km from Palma and 18.4 km from Manacor. In its vicinity we find the towns of Colonia de Sant Pere, Betlem, Capdepera and Cala Ratjada. Its approximate population is 7,000 inhabitants. The municipality of Artà has three urban centers on the coast; Colonia de Sant Pere, S'Estanyol and Betlem.
Artà is a popular destination throughout the year due to its proximity to the coast, the beauty of its surroundings and the many attractions offered by the town. In Artà, the walled enclosure of Sant Salvador and its church, of Gothic style, stand out. From this place you can enjoy a beautiful panoramic view of the city. Its center is pedestrian and has a long walk full of shops, art and decoration shops, cafes, restaurants with large terraces, etc. an ideal place to take a walk. In Artà there is a very international atmosphere since a large number of foreigners reside in the locality and neighborhoods. Artà has an extensive program of local festivals and cultural events.
Near Artà, about 10 km away, you will find the beautiful beaches Cala Es Matzoc and Cala Torta located in the Natural Park of the Peninsula del Llevant. For hiking enthusiasts in this area they will find numerous itineraries.
You can see here the list of the main towns in the east of Mallorca.
MAIN PLACES TO VISIT IN ARTÀ
• Museu Regional d'Artà. Located near the town hall on Calle de l'Estel
• House Museum of Can Cardaix. 17th-century urban manor house located on Rafel Blanes Street, 14
• Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord. Located in the Sant Salvador area in the upper part of the town.
• Walled enclosure and temple of Sant Salvador. Located in the upper part of the town.
• Artà brand craft center. Located in the old train station, on Avenida Costa i Llobera, 6.
• Natural Park of the Peninsula del Llevant. Nature reserve in the northeast of the island. Natural area of special interest and special zone of protection of the birds.
• Talayotic village of Ses Païsses. Located 500m from the center of Artà on the Camino de Sa Corballa.
• Talayot of Sa Canova. Old talayotic settlement located 6 km from Artà near Colonia de Sant Pere.
MAIN FESTIVITIES AND MARKETS IN ARTÀ
• Local market. Every Tuesday in the Plaza del Conqueridor.
• Festivity of the wise men. January 5
• Festivity of Sant Antòni. Mid-January
• Carnival. Held in February - March
• Holy Week. Held in April
• Festivities of San Antonio de Padua. The dance of the "Cavallets" stands out, it is celebrated in the middle of June.
• Festivities of Sant Salvador. They are celebrated the first week of August.
• Christmas parties.
Other visits you can do near Artà:
Near Artà you can visit the Capdepera market that is held every Wednesday. Other points of special interest are the nearby towns of Cala Ratjada and Colonia de Sant Pere. Some of the most beautiful beaches within the municipality of Artà are Cala Torta, Cala Mitjana, Cala es Matzoc, Sa Font Salada, Na Clara and Cala Camp Vells. Also noteworthy are the wonderful views that you can get from the hermitage of Betlem located 9km from Artà. Other recommended visits near Artà are the Capdepera Castle or the Canyamel Tower.
Links related to Artà. See the links at the bottom of this page with important information of places of special interest near Artà and our recommendations.
How to arrive:
From Palma the Ma-15 motorway that passes through Manacor takes you directly to Artà. The town is well connected and has several bus lines.