El Arenal, tourist resort in the bay of Palma.
Update 10/01/20. El Arenal is a town located on the west coast of Mallorca, in the bay of Palma. It is 14 km from the capital Palma and 14 km from the town of Llucmajor. In its vicinity we find the towns of Palma, Sant Jordi, Algaida and Llucmajor. Its approximate population is 17,000 inhabitants.
El Arenal was an old fishing village but due to the growth of tourism it became a mainly tourist area. Highlights its seafront promenade that is linked to that of Playa de Palma forming a large avenue of several kilometers. The beach with its water activities is in front of the kilometer promenade and in its back we find numerous hotels, shops, bars and restaurants.
El Arenal has two main beaches, Playa del Arenal and Playa Es Caló de Sant Antoni, and 3.3 km away we find the beautiful beach of Cala Blava.
You can see here the list of the main towns in the west of Mallorca.
MAIN PLACES TO VISIT IN EL ARENAL:
• Parish of El Arenal. Known as " Nuestra Señora de la Lactancia."
• Plaza Reina María Cristina. Near the seafront promenade.
• Plaza Mayor. The weekly market is held in this square and adjacent streets.
• El Arenal municipal park. Located in the center of the town, it has garden areas and playgrounds for children.
• El Arenal Yacht Club. Marina of the town where it highlights its sailing club that has been visited on different occasions by the royal family.
• Miramar Avenue. Beautiful seafront promenade full of palm trees and with space for sports activities.
MAIN FESTIVITIES AND MARKETS IN EL ARENAL:
• Weekly market. It is held on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays in the Plaza Mayor and adjacent streets.
• Main festivity of the town. Celebrated at the beginning of July.
• Virgen de los Remedios. It is celebrated in the Hermitage of the Virgen de los Remedios located next to the Plaza España. The second weekend of September.
• Santísimo Cristo de la Expiración. It is celebrated in the Hermitage of the Santísimo Cristo de la Expiración located on the Arenas road. The second weekend of October.
• La Moragá. It is celebrated at the end of October or beginning of November.
Other visits you can do near El Arenal:
Near El Arenal you can visit the Llucmajor market that is held on Wednesdays and Fridays. Other points of special interest are the neighborhood of Can Pastilla and the natural area of Es Carnatge. Some of the secluded beaches in nature near El Arenal are Caló de ses Lleonardes and Caló Fort. Another recommended visit is the Puig de Randa near the town of Llucmajor where several sanctuaries are located.
How to arrive:
El Arenal is 15km from Palma de Mallorca and 7km from the airport. It can be accessed by the Ma-19 motorway or local roads, it is well connected to Palma de Mallorca through public transportation.