Porto Cristo, a coastal and tourist town known as Puerto de Manacor
Update 13/01/20. Porto Cristo is a coastal town located east of the island. It belongs to the municipality of Manacor. It is 68.3 km from Palma and 13.8 km from the city of Manacor. In its vicinity we find the towns of S'Illot, Cala Millor, Sant Llorenç de Cardassar and Manacor. Its population is around 8,000 inhabitants.
Porto Cristo has a large number of hotels, shops, bars and restaurants as well as a marina with 450 moorings. Most bars and restaurants are concentrated near the Port. Its main beach precedes the entrance to the port, it is a beautiful sandy beach and is perfectly sheltered between cliffs. The coast near the town is full of coves of amazing beauty.
Porto Cristo is known as the Port of Manacor. There are many residents of Manacor who have their second residence in this coastal town and have their llaüts in the marina, typical boat of Mallorca. On board their "llaüts" they enjoy the beauty of the coast and exciting fishing days.
You can see here the list of the main towns in the east of Mallorca.
MAIN PLACES TO VISIT IN PORTO CRISTO:
• Cuevas del Drach . The visit lasts about an hour and the tour is about 1,200 meters, includes a classical music concert and a boat ride through Lake Martel.
• Cuevas del Hams. Numerous chambers and galleries, audiovisuals projected on the rocks, underground lakes, musical spectacle.
• The Falcons Tower. Watch and defense tower located at the end of Joan Servera Camps avenue in Porto Cristo.
• Basilica of Sa Carrotja. Located at the beginning of Joan Amer avenue in Porto Cristo. Remains of the first Christians of the island.
• The White Caves. Caves located in front of the sea next to the beach of Porto Cristo. They were a refuge for pirates and fishermen until the end of the 19th century.
MAIN FESTIVALS AND MARKETS IN PORTO CRISTO:
• Porto Cristo Market. The market day is Sunday, it takes place in the Passeig de la Sirena in front of the marina and the beach.
• Fiestas del Carme. The local festivity is July 16 in honor of the Virgen del Carmen, patron saint of Porto Cristo. During the month of July numerous events are held. Sports activities, dancing, theater, water activities, night fair, music, competitions ...
Other visits you can do near Porto Cristo:
Near Porto Cristo you can visit the Sant Llorenç des Cardassar market that is held every Thursday. Other points of special interest are the nearby towns Manacor, Cala Millor and Portocolom. Some of the prettiest beaches near Porto Cristo are Cala Romántica, Cala Varques and Cala Magraner. Also noteworthy is the beautiful landscape that we find in Punta de n'Amer, a coastal area located between the tourist resorts of Sa Coma and Cala Millor.
Links related to Porto Cristo. See the links at the bottom of this page with important information of places of special interest near Porto Cristo and our recommendations.
How to arrive:
Traveling from Palma, take the Ma-15 motorway to Manacor. In Manacor you will have to drive around the locality to take the local road Manacor - Porto Cristo Ma-4020