Palma de Mallorca, cosmopolitan city, gateway to the beautiful island of Mallorca.
Update 21/01/20. Palma de Mallorca is the capital of Mallorca and is located in the west part of the island next to the coast. It is 9.0 km from the airport, 47.9 km from Manacor and 54.9 km from Alcúdia. In its vicinity we find the towns of Calvia, Marratxi and Algaida. Its approximate population is 425,000 inhabitants.
Palma de Mallorca is a city with many charms. Highlights its location facing the sea with an impressive first sea line where we can see emblematic buildings such as the Cathedral, the Bellver Castle or the Almudaina Palace as well as its large port and promenade.
The old town is located a short distance from its coast. The Plaza de Cort where the town hall is located, the Plaza Mayor, Jaime III, the Rambla or the Paseo del Borne are must-see places. This modern city has all kinds of entertainment options, cinemas, casinos, theaters, concerts, etc., plus hundreds of bars, restaurants and shops are spread throughout the city.
You can see here the list of the main towns in the west of Mallorca.
MAIN PLACES TO VISIT IN PALMA DE MALLORCA:
• Cathedral of Mallorca. Known as La Seu, it is the main religious building in Mallorca. It is Gothic, emphasizes its location facing the sea.
• Royal Palace of the Almudaina. Arabic fort converted into a palace, it is currently used as a museum and by the royal family for events.
• Lonja de Mallorca. Gothic building dating from the fifteenth century, highlight its spectacular arches. It is currently used for art exhibitions.
• Es Baluard. Museum of modern and contemporary art
• Plaza Mayor. Large square with numerous shops and cafés. It is famous for its outdoor craft markets.
• Mercat de l'Olivar. It is the largest municipal market in Palma. It has fishmonger stalls, meats, fruits, vegetables, prepared food, florist and bars.
• Plaza de Cort. Square located next to the City Council of Palma.
• La Rambla. Important avenue, has kiosks for the sale of plants and flowers.
• Juan March Foundation Museum. Museum located in a majestic 17th century building
• S'Escorxador. It has a cultural center, library, supermarket, cinemas, bars and restaurants.
• Es Portixol. Former fishing village located a few minutes from the city center.
• Darsena from C'an Barbara. Little port next to the sea front promenade.
• Castell de Bellver. Circular castle of the 14th century located on a hill overlooking the bay of Palma. Headquarters of the history museum of the city of Palma.
• Miró Mallorca Fundació. Important collection of the artist Joan Miró with nearly 6,000 works, including paintings, sculptures, drawings, etc. The foundation also organizes temporary avant-garde exhibitions.
• Historical Military Museum of San Carlos. Military Castle located in the Dique del Oeste where you can see the military history of the Balearic Islands.
• Jardins de Marivent. Located on Avenida Joan Miró, 229, next to the Marivent Palace. It is a very well-kept green space with many native species. It has bronze sculptures by the artist Joan Miró.
"Palma de Mallorca, city of dreams; culture, history, tradition ..."
MAIN WEEKLY MARKETS IN PALMA:
• Monday: Plaça Major
• Tuesday: Can Pastilla, Pere Garau, Santa Catalina.
• Wednesday: S'Arenal, Es Coll d'en Rabassa, Son Roca.
• Thursday: Can Pastilla, Pere Garau, Santa Catalina.
• Friday: Plaça Major, la Vileta.
• Saturday: Avenidas, Pere Garau, Santa Catalina, Son Ferriol.
MAIN FESTIVITIES IN PALMA DE MALLORCA:
• Wise men. It is celebrated on January 5.
• San Antonio. It is celebrated on January 16 and 17 with traditional bonfires.
• San Sebastián festivities. Palma pattern. Celebrated during the second half of January. Concerts at the San Sebastian vigil in the most central squares of the city.
• Carnivals. It is celebrated at the end of February beginning of March.
• Day of the Balearic Islands. March 1st.
• Easter. It is celebrated during the month of April.
• Sunday of the Angel: It is celebrated in the castle of Bellver the following Sunday of Easter Sunday.
• Spring festivity. Concerts and visits to courtyards.
• San Juan's night. It is celebrated on June 23. Concerts and bonfires in different locations in the city.
• Festivity of the "Madre de Dios de la Salud". Floral and fruit offering, musical concerts and theater.
• December 31: Estandarte Festivity. The anniversary of the Christian conquest of the city is celebrated.
"Discover the most charming places in Mallorca with mallorca-touristguide.co.uk"
How to arrive:
The Ma-19 motorway leads from the airport to the city. By public transportation from the airport, line 1 will take you to the city center. Mallorca travel guide