Petra, a town located in the central part of Mallorca. The museum and home of Fray Junípero Serra stand out.
Update 09/02/23. The town of Petra is located in the central part of Mallorca about 10 kilometers from Manacor, it is a small town that does not exceed 3,000 inhabitants.
Petra is located in the flat area of Mallorca, surrounded by fertile land and some elevation, the main one is the Puig de Bonany from where you can see much of the island.
For centuries the main engine of this town has been agriculture, livestock and trade for its geographical location, today as in most towns of Mallorca its inhabitants develop their jobs in the service sector.
The center of the town is very picturesque and full of life with its squares where most bars and restaurants are concentrated.
Main places of interest:
• The museum and birthplace of Fray Junipero Serra, a Spanish Franciscan friar who moved to America and founded 9 Spanish missions in California and presided over another 15, was beatified by Pope John Paul II in 1988 and canonized by Pope Francis in 2015
• Parish Church of Sant Pere, its large dimensions betray the great prosperity that once had this town.
• Crosses of the Petra region
• Windmills, at present there are still 12 mills betraying the importance of agriculture years ago.
• Sant Bernadí Convent, located on Main Street
• Sanctuary of Mare de Déu de Bonany located in the Puig de Bonany.
• The Plazas "Fra Juníper Serra" and "Ramon Llull" in the center of the town.
• Convent of Sant Francesc, convent of nuns founded in 1888.
Fairs and markets:
• Local market, every Wednesday at Carrer Ample
• Sant Antoni, January 16.
• Third Easter party, climb on foot to the Puig de Bonany
• Santa Praxedes, July 21.
• August 2, feast of the Mare de Déu dels Angels.
• Second Sunday of August, visit to Son Serra by carriage.
• Third Sunday of September, homage to Father Serra.
• Fourth Sunday of October, art and business shows.
How to arrive:
The town of Petra is located in the central part of Mallorca. From Manacor, the Ma-3320 road leads to the town of Petra.