Santanyí, a town near the south coast of Mallorca.
Update 09/02/23. Santanyí is an inland town near the coast located south of the island. It is 55.4 km from Palma and 32 km from Manacor. In its vicinity we find the towns of Las Salinas, Campos and Felanitx. The approximate population is 11,000 inhabitants. The municipality of Santanyí has several urban centers; Cala d'Or, Alquería Blanca, Calonge, Cala Figuera, Porto Petro, Llombards, Cala Santanyí, Cala Llombards, Son Moger and Cap d'Es Moro.
The Plaza Mayor, located in the center of the town is where its inhabitants meet and where the festivities and the weekly market are held. Most of shops, bars and restaurants are scattered around the center. Santanyí formerly based its economy on agriculture and fishing.
MAIN PLACES TO VISIT
• Plaza Mayor. Located in the center of the town.
• El Roser. Ancient church dating from the fourteenth century.
• El Rectorado. Building rebuilt at the end of the 16th century with the appearance of a rural palace located next to the Plaza Mayor.
• La Porta Murada. It is a gate from the walls of Santanyí from the 16th century.
• S'Abeurador. Located at the end of Calle de la Paz, dating from the 19th century, it was a watering hole for animals.
• Church of Sant Andreu. It dates from the 18th century, built with Santanyí stone.
• Mondragó Natural Park. Sea and mountain landscape where there are white sand coves, cliffs and pine forests.
• Defense towers. Located on the coast line. The most important ones are; En Beu in Cala Figuera, Torre Nova de sa Roca Fesa in Cala Santanyí and the Torre d'en Bassa in Portopetro.
• Archaeological Sites. We find important vestiges of the first inhabitants of the island in the municipality. The most important are; Es Rafal de los Cerdos, Son Danús and Son Atalayas de Ca Jordi.
MAIN FESTIVITIES AND MARKETS
• Weekly market. Every Wednesday and Saturday in the Plaza Mayor.
• Sant Antoni. The animals are blessed and the traditional bonfires are celebrated. It is celebrated on January 16 and 17.
• Santa Escolàstica. A mass is celebrated in the sanctuary of Puig de Consolació. It is celebrated at the beginning of February.
• Day of the sanctuary of Puig de Consolació. First Sunday of March.
• Sant Jaume. It is celebrated on July 25.
• Santanyí Fair. Agricultural, artisan and industrial. It is celebrated on the third Saturday of October.
• Sant Andreu patronal festivity. Cultural activities during the week. It is celebrated on November 30.
How to arrive:
Santanyí is 55.4 kilometers from Palma de Mallorca. From Palma or from the Airport, the Ma-19 motorway leads directly to the town.