Valldemossa, emblematic town located in the Sierra de Tramuntana. Highlights its beautiful landscapes and La Cartuja de Valldemosa.
Update 05/02/20. The town of Valldemossa is located near the north coast of Mallorca in the Sierra de Tramuntana. It is located 20 km from Palma and 7 km from the Port of Valldemossa. In its vicinity we find the towns of Deià, Esporles and Bunyola. Its population is around 2,000 inhabitants.
Valldemossa is one of the most visited and emblematic places in Mallorca. It is surrounded by high mountains which allows to enjoy beautiful panoramic views from anywhere in the town. It is a mountain town with narrow cobbled streets. In its old town we find emblematic buildings next to old houses very well preserved. The town has squares and main streets where a large number of shops, cafes and restaurants are concentrated. Valldemossa receives an important flow of visitors throughout the year. This small town is an important reference in tourism and culture.
One of the main attractions of the town is La Cartuja de Valldemossa and the memory that left in the winter of 1838-39 the stay of the French composer Frederic Chopin and the French writer George Sand. La Cartuja houses inside a cloister, church, shop, various cells, municipal museum and the Palace of King Sancho.
You can see here the list of the main towns in the north of Mallorca.
MAIN PLACES TO VISIT IN VALLDEMOSSA
• La Cartuja and Palace of King Sancho. Data from the 14th century.
• Parish Church of Sant Bartomeu. Founded in the 13th century.
• Oratory of Beata Catalina Tomàs. Birthplace of Beata Catalina Tomàs, dates from the 16th century.
• Miramar Monastery. Former residence of Archduke Luis Salvador of Austria located 5 km from Valldemossa.
• Center of Costa Nord. Interpretation center of the Serra de Tramuntana founded by Michael Douglas.
• Coll Bardolet Foundation. Exhibition of the pictorial work of Josep Coll Bardolet, illustrious son of Valldemossa.
• Hermitage of the Santísima Trinidad. Located 3 km from Valldemossa, its construction began in the 13th century.
• Port of Valldemossa. Small fishing port located at the foot of the Sierra de Tramuntana.
MAIN FESTIVITIES AND MARKETS IN VALLDEMOSSA
• Market. Every Sunday next to the tourist office.
• Sant Antoni. It is celebrated in the middle of January.
• Beata Festivities. Major festivities of Valldemossa in honor of Santa Catalina Thomas. Celebrated at the end of July.
• Festival of Sa Marina. Celebrated during the first half of August with multiple activities; contests, concerts, popular meal ...
• Mare de Déu d'Agost. It is celebrated in mid-August with numerous children's activities, water activities, concerts, dances ...
• Festivities of Sant Bartomeu. Celebrated within the second half of August.
• Festival of Moors and Christians in Valldemossa. They are held in early October. The battle that happened in 1552 is remembered in which 400 Turks sacked the town and then were defeated by the Christians.
Other visits you can do near Valldemossa:
Near Valldemossa you can visit the Esporles market that is held every Saturday. Other points of special interest are the nearby towns of Deià and Banyalbufar, all located in the beautiful surroundings of the Sierra de Tramuntana. The nearest beaches are in Port de Valldemossa and Port des Canonge both on the north coast. Other recommended visits are the La Granja Museum near Esporles or the Son Marroig Museum near Deià.
Links related to Valldemossa. See the links at the bottom of this page with important information of places of special interest near Valldemossa and our recommendations.
"Enjoy the interior of the island with the help of mallorca-toruistguide.co.uk"
How to arrive:
The town of Valldemossa is located in the Sierra de Tramuntana. From Palma, the Ma-1110 road leads directly to Valldemossa. It is easy to park in the town.